LiveStream with Ja'

Watch live streaming video from theonlyja at livestream.com

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Our youth are blatant targets of bigotry and racism... Justice for #TrayvonMartin #SoulcialMe

Tray
17 year old Trayvon Martin was shot and killed while walking home from a convenience store on the evening of February 26th. The shooter, George Zimmerman, was the neighborhood watch captain. Zimmerman, a 200 pound 28 year old with a history of violence,  claimed self defense although Trayvon Martin, with no criminal history, had nothing more than candy and an iced tea in his hands. George Zimmerman remains free.

T_s_h
I woke up this morning with this travesty on my mind. It prompted me to pray a hedge of protection over my 14 year old soon to be 15 year old son and asking God to order and direct his steps. As I was further praying I realized that there are probably so many more young black men who have been a victim of some ones unwarranted suspicions, racism and bigotry who we are not even aware of. I lifted them up in prayer as well. I don't want any more of our children to have to die because of someone else’s ignorance and hatred.

I want the focus on the fact that Zimmerman, a Hispanic male, took the life of a 17 year old child! The audacity of this whole scenario incites anger in me I did not know I was capable of or that I knew I had. Even as I write this post my eyebrows are furled and I’m scowling. What more can we do? Yes, we can rally and march but more needs to be done! It is NEVER okay to take anyone’s life? Why didn’t Zimmerman just call the police and let them investigate if Trayvon was a threat or not? Why did he follow him after the police told him not to? When is walking around talking on the cell phone ever been suspicious activity? Isn’t there a protocol I am going to just assume that if the roles were reversed he'd be screaming racism and conspiracy to euthanize his race.

That's why I signed a petition to Pam Bondi, Florida Attorney General and Eric Holder, U.S. Attorney General, which says:

George Zimmerman's shooting of Trayvon Martin, an African American teenager, reveals a history of racism in Sanford, FL that has stubbornly refused to die. Weeks after the shooting, the Sanford police department is slow to release details of the shooting and, more surprisingly, has not arrested George Zimmerman, a man who has a history of violence.

We 5urge you to sign this petition to protect private citizens from gun violence and inept law enforcement. Florida's Attorney General Pam Bondi must step in and provide justice for Trayvon Martin, his family, and the community."

I signed this petition, won't you? Click here

This could have been your dad, uncle, brother, cousin or friend...

Sign_tray
If you are in Atlanta and you can go to the rally in Florida tomorrow, Click here

No comments:

Post a Comment